Remember the big guy Hopper from “Stranger Things“?
Well, now he’ll become even bigger and with a stronger sense of
justice wry humour than ever.
That’s so cool! Hopper is one of the best characters of the show (even though often I find myself thinking that any character of “Stranger Things” can be described this way). “Hellboy” will be released 11.01.2019. But I see a shadow of doubt over it…
The main man behind the reboot is Neil Marshall. And here comes the doubt… Which movies has Neil Marshall directed? “Centurion” with Fassbender which had more style than substance, sci-fi thriller “Doomsday” (I haven’t seen it) – both were big box office failures which isn’t really important, but IMDb/RT ratings aren’t particularly charming either. But! He also did a bunch of TV episodes, like “Game of Thrones” (and his episodes were received very well!), one “Westworld” episode (the show is a must-see for any sci-fi fan!) And some others.
The other cast features some interesting names too.
- Ian McShane (my alter ego Bobinsky’s voice in “Coraline“, Blackbeard in “Pirates of the Carribean…”)
- Milla Jovovich (“The Fifth Element“, very cheesy “Ultraviolet“, “Resident Evil from N.1 to N. 3457890“)
- Sasha Lane (indie drama “American Honey“)
- Daniel Dae Kim (“Lost”, Ang Lee’s “Hulk” which by the way is very underrated and unfairly misjudged)
- Sophie Okonedo (“Hotel Rwanda“)
- and… Brian Gleeson! The son of legendary Brendan Gleeson (excellent psychologic zombie post-apocalypse “28 Days Later“, dark and weirdly funny “In Bruges“) and the brother of Domhnall Gleeson (superb action-packed “Dredd“, romantic in a good way “About Time”, cerebral “Ex Machina“). Domhnall Gleeson is a superb and versatile actor (you can read an interesting article about him here), just like his father, so I am curious about Brian Gleeson. What a superfamily.
So, time will be the judge, but as for now I have very mixed feelings about the new “Hellboy” film.