With all the buzz going around “Logan” and “Deadpool”, I decided to make a full list of all R rated superhero movies ever released. Enjoy!
Full list of 40+ titles below, sorted by IMDb rating.
My favourite independent movies on this list are “Defendor” and “Super”. Pretty unique.
|TITLE||YEAR||IMDB RATING||BUDGET (MLN)||BOX OFFICE (MLN)||NOTES|
|The Matrix||1999||8.7||$63.000000||$463.500000||by the Wachowskis, with K. Reeves, L. Fishburne, H. Weaving, C. A. Moss|
|V for Vendetta||2005||8.2||$54.000000||$130.000000||produced by the Wachowskis, with N. Portman, H. Weaving. Based on comics by A. Moore|
|Sin City||2005||8||$40.000000||$158.500000||by R. Rodriguez/F. Miller, with B. Willis, M. Rourke|
|Kick-Ass||2010||7.7||$30.000000||$96.200000||with (unusual) N. Cage|
|Watchmen||2009||7.6||$130.000000||$184.000000||by Z. Snyder, based on comics by A. Moore|
|The Crow||1994||7.6||$15.000000||$50.600000||by Alex Proyas (Dark City). Various sequels|
|Robocop||1987||7.5||$13.000000||$53.400000||by P. Verhoeven, with P. Weller|
|The Matrix Reloaded||2003||7.2||$150.000000||$742.100000||by Wachowskis, with K. Reeves, L. Fishburne, H. Weaving, C. A. Moss, M. Belucci|
|Dredd||2012||7.1||$45.000000||$41.400000||screenplay by Alex Garland (directed Ex Machina)|
|Blade||1998||7.1||$45.000000||$131.200000||based on Marvel character, screenplay by D. S. Goyer, with W. Snipes|
|Constantine||2005||6.9||$100.000000||$221.600000||with K. Reeves, R. Weisz, P. Stormare, Tilda Swinton|
|Sin City: A Dame to Kill for||2014||6.9||$65.000000||$39.400000||by R. Rodriguez, with M. Rourke, E. Green, J. Alba, J. Gordon-Lewitt|
|Super||2008||6.8||$2.500000||$0.400000||by J. Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy), with Rainn Wilson|
|Defendor||2009||6.8||$5.400000||$0.440000||with W. Harrelson|
|The Matrix Revolutions||2003||6.7||$150.000000||$427.300000||by Wachowski brothers, with K. Reeves, L. Fishburne, H. Weaving, C. A. Moss|
|Blade ll||2002||6.7||$55.000000||$154.400000||by G. del Toro, screenplay by D. Goyer, based on Marvel character, with W. Snipes|
|Wanted||2008||6.7||$75.000000||$342.400000||by T. Bekmambetov, with A. Jolie, J. McAvoy, M. Freeman|
|Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice||2016||6.7||$250.000000||$873.000000||…only the Director’s Cut was rated R|
|The Punisher||2004||6.5||$33.000000||$54.500000||with T. Jane, J. Travolta|
|Darkman||1990||6.4||$16.000000||$49.000000||by S. Raimi, with L. Neeson|
|The Toxic Avenger||1984||6.2||$0.500000||$0.800000||first R rated superhero movie ever|
|Black Mask||1996||6.1||?||$14.000000||with Jet Li. Disastrous sequel followed|
|Punisher: War Zone||2008||6||$35.000000||$10.100000||OST was unexpectedly successful|
|The Specials||2000||6||$1.000000||$0.130000||written by J. Gunn (Super, Guardians of the Galaxy)|
|Guyver: Dark Hero||1994||6||$0.900000||?||…the only movie here when the sequel was more successful than the original that wasn’t rated R.|
|The Punisher||1989||5.9||$9.000000||$0.500000||with Dolph Lundgren|
|Blade: Trinity||2004||5.9||$65.000000||$132.000000||by D. S. Goyer, with W. Snipes|
|Robocop 2||1990||5.7||$14.000000||$45.700000||with P. Weller|
|Judge Dredd||1995||5.5||$90.000000||$113.500000||with S. Stallone|
|Daredevil||2003||5.3||$78.000000||$182.700000||…only the Director’s Cut was rated R|
|Tank Girl||1995||5.2||$25.000000||$6.000000||with Naomi Watts, M. McDowell|
|The Toxic Avenger: Part ll||1989||5.1||$2.400000||$0.800000||…and 2 other less successful sequels|
|Black Scorpion||1995||4.8||?||?||…and the sequel|
|Spiderbabe||2003||4.4||?||?||…direct-to-video, loosely based on Marvel character|
|Faust: Love of the Damned||2000||4.1||$3.000000||?|
- Most R rated superhero movies fall in into categories – or it’s a very high budget Hollywood production, or it’s some independent stuff that’s often trashy. Both categories had their failures and successes.
- The movie doesn’t always need to have R rating to be awesome. In “Watchmen” – yes, it’s a part of the plot and story. In “Logan” – well, it could be a great movie even without all that gore.
- Neither “Deadpool” nor “Logan” were first R-rated superhero movies. Before that, we had “Watchmen”. And before “Watchmen”, we had “Blade”. And even before them, we had “The Toxic Avenger”.
- If we talk about things seriously, let’s admit R rated superhero movies now made a full circle. Blade (1998) was one of the first big successful movies – by the way, it’s a Marvel character – grossing $131 million with only a $40 million budget, but it was mostly pure action and style. The Matrix was probably really the first big office hit that started to change things, being not just cool action movie with violence, but also more though though-provoking ($463.5 million box office). Then came Spider-Man with its $821.7 million worldwide box office, starting the hugely successful era of superhero movies for everybody.
- “Defendor” and “Super” are a must-watch for anyone who likes independent cinema.